Thursday, May 31, 2007

Welcome to Disney

Welcome to Disney,

Okay so the impossible happened… I am now a Disney fan. After spending a week there, I now think it is an awesome place to vacation. I have been one of those bah humbug Disney kinda guys until now. A few years ago I went as a guest as some friends and thought the location was great, but I never could understand why people were wowed by silly characters. My wife in particular loves the little winged demon called Tinkerbelle. Although it will be years before I cover my body in mouse ear parafanalia, I certainly have an appreciation for Disneyworld.

While there I went on a “Keys to the Kingdom Tour.”
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=KeystotheKingdomTourPage&bhcp=1

On the tour you are given some “insider” information. It’s the kind of stuff that if I told you, I would probably get my blog shut down. Okay, that’s a whole lotta dramatization. Truthfully, it would be a whole lotta typing.

Many of the things revealed on the tour are worthy of discussion but here is something that I would encourage you to reflect on. While on the tour they told us the four keys to the kingdom. Our guide explained that they are the keys to a door with four locks. She continued, “If one key is missing then the door does not open, symbolizing a less than “magical” Disney experience.”

The four keys were simple… not a list of 10 or 15 but a simple list of four:

  • Safety – the number one priority of the day
  • Courtesy – all cast members (employees) must treat every visitor as a guest and be hospitable
  • Show – every aspect must be tied together to build a theme
  • Efficient – the park must run smoothly

I would suggest doing an inventory of your ministry on those four simple things. As a church we must always question our spiritual direction, as a church, we must always keep the other four in check to pursue excellence.

2 comments:

Frank Chiapperino said...

I love Disney. I have never had a bad experience there. Great post, I think it is a great way to get us to think about ways we can improve our "kingdom" work.

Anonymous said...

Is it true that your wonderful in-laws took you to Disney World and that you love them more now than you did before the trip? I can't believe you still call
Tinkerbell a winged demon!!!