Friday, April 13, 2007

If Only

Need… What a funny concept. What do we really NEED? What do we NEED to have an awesome youth ministry? What do we NEED to have a great marriage? What do we NEED to have fulfillment in life? Beneath every NEED there is the potential of an excuse lurking below the surface. You can identify this with the “if only” statements. If only we had more staff. If only we had committed volunteers. If only my spouse understood me. If only Rita’s Water Ice was fat free.

This week I was at the PCTC (Pennsylvania Christian Teen Convention) planning session for 2008 and we were invited to attend an “optional” prayer meeting from 9:30 to 10:00. Truth being told, I had been doing a lot of praying that day. Tuesday was the day Ben, our Student Ministry Arts Intern, was going to give his decision as to whether he was going to come on full time or not. I had also been praying for friends of mine who have been going through a terrible situation. I honestly didn’t want to go to that room, but inside I knew I needed to be a part of that moment.

As I sat down to pray I felt restless so I decided to read the book of Philippians. When I came to Philippians 4 I was struck by verse 6 in the NLT. Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. It continues… If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. It was then I came face to face with the question, “What do I really NEED?” I decided to go before the Creator of the Universe and tell Him what I NEEDED. It radically changed my prayer. I found myself saying I think I NEED. It was easy to thank Him for all He has done. This simple exercise brought me peace and strengthened my faith.

NOW WHAT?
1. Create a list of the things that you think you NEED?
2. Pray through that list saying, “God I NEED…”
3. Spend time thanking God for what He has done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terriffic call with the scripture Matt. I can't tell you how many times in a week I read that same verse (as if one of the times I read it, it will mysteriously change) That scripture has hit very close to my heart on many levels in worrying about if I will really get what I "need." Unfortunately, the more I learn about our incredible God, the more I learn about myself, and the more I learn about the world around me... The more I come closer to the conclusion that I really have NO idea what I do NEED. I know I need God in every aspect of my life. And occationally it is disheartening to feel like he doesn't need me back. In my opinion you hit it right on the mark... and so did Paul in Philippians, the answer is in prayer...