Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Call You Don't Want to Make

"God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble and oppressed."

Man I got some favor tonight!

So, I'm at a hotel preparing for the PCTC (Pennsylvania Christian Teen Convention) taking place tomorrow. After nearly a two hour car ride and a planning meeting I checked into the hotel and went to my room to relax before dinner. Part of relaxing is of course... well... taking care of business (business referring to a bodily function that isn't #1).

We then went out to a nice dinner, took care of some minor planning details and I was back in my room around 9:30. When I went to the restroom to take care of the first number (stay with me!!!), I was shocked at what I saw... residue!!!

Now one of two things happened...
  1. I created a significant amount of waste that needed the utilization of a plunger (this hasn't happened in years!) or
  2. I'm really mad at room service!

Regardless I had the feeling of... oh my gosh what am I going to do. This is where my pride came in; I did not want to call the front desk!!! I thought to myself...
  1. There's no plunger, what could I use to Macgyver this situation?
  2. I could call housekeeping and when they came to the door, demand to clean up THEIR mess!
  3. Use the public restroom in the morning and let housekeeping deal with it in the morning.
  4. Humble myself and make the call.

I chose option #4. I swallowed my proud and said to the front desk operator, "Dude, this is embarrassing but I need a plunger in room xxxx." To my surprise he didn't laugh at me, call me ridiculous names like "elephant man", or hang up on me. In fact he said, "Someone will be right up."

I'm now thinking, I'm going to leave the room. I didn't really think that but when the knock on the door came I was ready to do one of two things. Plunge it myself or tip the janitorial staff big time. When I opened the door I was greeted with a warm smile and a man armed with a plunger. I asked, "Can I plunge it myself? He chuckled and said "No, I got it!" I winced when he entered the bathroom. Uncomfortable, I returned to my laptop to do email.

In a moments time I heard the flush of the toilet and he was heading out. I thanked him and offered him the tip but he refused. He was in the room for less than THREE minutes but was able to fix the problem! The best part... "He smiled and said he was glad to do it!"

Here's the point!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have a mess on your hands and need to make a call for some backup? Who's the person in your life that is only a phone call away that is willing to get dirty in order to help you out? You know it's going to be embarrassing. You have no idea how they'll react. They may laugh at you, call you a name, or may even hang up on you. But isn't it worth making the call? Trust me, you'll be better off in the morning!

2 comments:

Greg said...

that's a good story man...i'm proud of you...that's a feat to clog hotels!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for a good laugh and what great teaching point! Now I know why my husband never goes #2 when he is out of town.