Friday, November 2, 2007

The End is Near... The Golden Compass

The buzz is in the air, I've received several emails urging me to get the word out, "Avoid The Golden Compass... especially if you have young kids!"

My suggestion would be to take your kids to see the movie and enter into a dialogue with them. Why should we ruin a perfect teaching opportunity? I will be going to see it and look forward to a potential series we can do here on Sunday nights.

I have a few challenges for everyone who is quick to forward an email: Did you go to the movie site as well as do research on the author to confirm the claims on snopes.com? (Check out an interview on MSNBC) Does your forward go to "non-believers" and if so what emotion are you trying to evoke?

Perhaps the subject line could be... "Great teaching opportunity, Hollywood produces a movie that mentions a creator being overtaken by its creation." I've seen a similar story with a different outcome in Isaiah 14:12-14. Maybe you should check it out with me.

1 comment:

Jenster said...

Great post, Matt!! I feel the same way. I can see how it would be confusing for younger kids maybe, but I think it's an excellent way for the older kids to really think about what they believe, why they believe it, what they think about the movie's message, etc.

Not only that, but from what I understand the movie isn't nearly as blatantly anti-Christian as the books are. And the first book isn't much at all. I know because I've read it. (Okay. I've read like half of it. But I plan on reading the rest of it before the movie comes out. 'cause that's how I roll.)