Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Lightning Crashes

Sunday, June 24 - I was greeted by a tear filled student who asked if he could talk to me. We’ll call him Sam. He asked if God could speak through nature. I was baffled because wrapped in this 15 year old shell is one of the most critical thinkers I have experienced in student ministry. I’ve entered into countless conversations with him regarding the origin of evil, God’s sovereignty, is God involved in the world, why do the Eagles always lose. Yet this student seems remarkably open to God.

We grabbed a spot to sit on the side of the building and he began to share about his recent experience. He was hanging out with a friend and touched on a conversation about God, shortly after the conversation the other guy threw down his cigarette. The moment it hit the ground Sam shouted BOOM just joking around. Immediately following the joke lightning struck and thunder boomed simultaneously in less than 100 yards away.

What many would consider a random chance coincidence, Sam was convinced was an encounter with God. What I loved about the timing of our conversation is that it occurred one day before we left for the CIY (Christ In Youth) Conference. I asked him, “What are you doing this week?”

He replied with the typical… “I don’t know.” I then told him he needed to go on our trip even if we had to pick up the tab. He agreed and decided to join us.

Sam the Skeptic continued his spiritual journey the entire week. Sam decided to be baptized and give his life to God while on that trip. Sam, who was primarily concerned about himself prior to the trip, was crying and praying over students who needed God’s touch. Sam who struggled with the message about Christ stood up declaring an interest in entering vocational ministry.

Time will tell what will come of Sam’s life but one thing is for certain. God used a lightning bolt to grab his attention.

What has God used to jar you recently? What was your response?

2 comments:

Kevin Stone said...

Matt,

I can't help but be deeply touched by Sam's story. I am coming up on my 4th year as Executive Pastor here at CCV and can't put into words the joy I feel. Sam's story (and hundreds just like it!) is why I decided to leave corporate almost 4 years ago to join the church staff.

I am continuously in awe over how God has gifted you to speak into the lives of students. Keep up the great work!

Adam Flora said...

Wow... I guess you could say that this one hits close to home. This story is pretty incredible. It's amazing how God can speak through some of the most unlikely of situations. You can't deny his existance in many of these moments. Whether He's speaking through handcuffs or lightning bolts. He is surely there speaking, it's a matter of hearing His voice. Thanks for sharing this story Matt. I would love to talk to Sam sometime...